August is Membership Month!
In anticipation of our upcoming season, become a member and enjoy benefits such as ticket admission discounts, waived festival submission fees, Cinematheque publication discounts, members’ events and more…
With your membership contribution, you actively support risk-taking art, cutting-edge artists and the boundless potential of creative expression.
Cinematheque begins its formal programming in advance of Fall on August 9 with exciting programs continuing through the year. Highlights of upcoming programs include:
- August 9 @ Artists’ Television Access: Filmmaker Pablo Marin—visiting from Buenos Aires—will present a selection of his lyrical Super-8 films and discuss the vibrant Argentine avant-garde film scene.
- September 13 @ Yerba Buena Center for the Arts: An exciting two-person program featuring films by local filmmaker Mary Helena Clark (including the premiere of a major new work, The Dragon is the Frame) and Baltimore-based Karen Yasinsky, whose films After Hours and The Lonely Life of Debby Adams were highlights of this year’s CROSSROADS film festival.
- September 21: Keith Evans, of legendary filmmaking collective silt, will present a special site-specific performative installation, Fascination Device 108, in a special location to-be-announced. (renew your membership now and be among the first to receive news!)
- October 18 @ YBCA: In celebration of the late great George Kuchar, New York filmmaker, archivist and historian Andrew Lampert will appear in person to read from his much anticipated publication of Kuchar’s writings. Corruption of the Damned and other works by Kuchar will be screened.
- November 6 & 7—Mary Woronov on Andy Warhol: Warhol superstar Woronov appears in person to introduce two Warhol classics—the lesser-known Hedy and the epic double-screen The Chelsea Girls (the latter presented at the Castro Theatre!).
- November 19 & 22 @ the Exploratorium: Australian film chemist Richard Tuohy appears in person to present (November 19) and discuss (in a workshop, November 22) his complex laboratory-based films and multi-projector performances.
OF SPECIAL NOTE: Cinematheque’s annual benefit art auction will be held on November 15 and will feature food, drinks, in-person guests and an amazing exhibition of art from an array of local and non-local artists. Please mark your calendars and SAVE THE DATE for this very special event. We hope to see you there!